From Shane Kyles, Director of The Way to Serve
Our friend Bryan Kelly from Common Ground always says, “God wraps up gifts in the form of people for us to unwrap and enjoy!” Many times, the people God gives us are for a lifetime. This year we have had the opportunity to open new “gifts” and continue to enjoy some we have known for many years! The beautiful truth about the gift of people is that, unlike a material gift, the friendships we form with others do not get old with time. In fact, they get better! We at The Way 2 Serve truly believe it is God’s design for us grow closer to him and closer together.
I have a dear friend and brother, Wes, who I have known for more than 15 years now. Even though our friendship is very close, he wisely said, “God is the only one who will never let me down.” He and I both have a lot of love for each other, but the truth is that we cannot depend 100% on any one person the way we can God. Wes has helped strengthen my faith with statements like this. We sharpen one another with truth, and I thank God for brothers like Wes in my life.
We always say The Way 2 Serve does not exist without people just like you who give of time and using the talents and resources with which God has blessed you. You may receive a gift wrapped up in the form of a person or family or YOU may be a gift to someone in need in our community. From these highlights of 2018, I feel confident that God has given many good gifts in the form of his children. This year we:
- Completed 106 home repair projects
- Served alongside 1030 volunteers
- Served 8240 work hours through those volunteers
- Established a new Bible Study Group in Pleasant Homes
On a weekly basis, we served through:
- Royal Park Community Bible & Basketball Group
- Real Men Real Talk Bible Study Group
- Jeter Ward 2 Academy Bible Study Group
God gives good gifts by way of his people, and his best gift always comes in the person of Jesus Christ, through his people. As this year comes to a close, I pray that we will be intentional in seeing and unwrapping gifts from God this season. Unlike some of the material gifts we will give and receive this Christmas, the great thing about these gifts is that they have the possibility to last for eternity. We at The Way 2 Serve would also ask you to pray for the coming year of 2019. Some of our goals for the coming year are:
- Development of The Way 2 Serve Strategic Plan
- Completion of 120 home repair projects
- Mentorship/Partnership with Desire Street Ministries
- Establish five new home group studies through home repair projects
- Enrollment of 10 students/future leaders in Grow Academy
- Establish two new weekly neighborhood community groups
There are a lot of gifts to unwrap for 2019. If you’d like to join us in the unwrapping, contact us now to get involved. All of us at The Way 2 Serve wish a Merry Christmas to you and your family as we celebrate the coming of our risen Savior and Lord. We look forward to all he will do in the coming year!